The Central Superior Services (CSS) is the civil service of Pakistan and an elite bureaucratic authority responsible for executing civilian administrative operations and the implementation of government policies through government secretariats, directorates and other offices.
- Written Examination
- Medical Test
- Psychological Test
- Viva Voce
CSS exam is not challenging if a candidate follows good time management, appropriate study material, analytical techniques, objective approach to attempt papers, and attend good mentors.
CSS exam is held between February and March every year.
You can pass the CSS exam in the first attempt if one plans and prepares for it systematically. There are many instances of candidates who qualified the exam in first attempt. There are many toppers or among the top 10 as well.
There is no degree specifically helpful in passing the CSS exam. What
· Grip on the subject
· Study technique
· Critical and analytical thinking
· Paper attempting techniques
Accordion ContentYes, scoring trend is a reality. This scoring trend depends upon many factors and the trend can be predicted with the help of a seasoned mentor.
There are 12 papers in CSS exam. Out of those 12 papers 6 are compulsory papers and 6 are optional papers. One can opt optional papers from the given groups.
Following are six compulsory subjects:
1. English Essay
2. English (Precis & Composition)
3. General Science & Ability
4. Current Affairs
5. Pakistan Affairs
6. Islamic Studies or Comparative Religion Studies (For Non-Muslims)
There are total 7 optional subject groups. You must choose 600 marks in total from the given groups.
In CSS exam, choice of optional subjects is very important. Therefore, a candidate must choose optional subjects very carefully, keeping in mind the scoring trend. There are no good or bad optional subjects. What matters is in-depth knowledge of the subject and proper technique to attempt paper.
Here are a few guidelines how to choose optional subjects:
1. Go through the list of groups and subjects in each group.
2. Short list the subjects that attract the candidate depending upon the interest in the subject and aptitude.
3. Academic background is major factor behind the choice of an optional subject. However, it is not the only factor.
4. Read and try to understand complete syllabus of an optional.
5. Read and try to understand past papers of the optional subject.
6. Choose an optional subject which seems easier to understand, or a candidate has some understanding before umping to conclusion.
7. If you are planning to appear in provincial competitive exams (PMS, CCE) as well, then it is recommended to opt such subjects that might help in provincial competitive exams as well
Maximum 200 marks from Group 1 or 200 Marks from Group 2 can be chosen. You can opt only one subject of 100 marks from any other group to make a total of 600 marks.
Here I want to quote a quote that success has many fathers, but failure is orphan. Successful candidates have adopted different strategies. Here is the one you may follow.
- The best way to prepare for CSS exam is to plan its preparation thoroughly.
- Start one optional or compulsory subject at a time along with English or Essay, and do not study multiple subjects simultaneously. As studying multiple subjects every day divides your mental faculties into different directions and candidate might lose focus.
- Divide syllabus into portions and then allocate days per portion.
- Past papers are very important. Therefore, an aspirant should divide the past papers into topic-wise questions and must consult while studying about a topic.
- An aspirant must attempt questions from past papers so that familiarity is developed with difficulty level of actual exams.
- Mock tests are a must for CSS aspirants in order to undergo actual exam-like settings before taking the final exams.
It is about being effective as a CSS aspirant. Usually, 8-10 hours of effective study time is recommended if you are not doing any job or anything else.
It depends upon effective study habit, study routine and techniques of studying. Usually, 9-12 months are recommended with full time study.
Yes, solving past papers provides students an opportunity to understand the difficulty level of CSS exam and eliminate any shortcomings in the preparation.
There are 12 occupational groups in CSS exam. Each group with its unique area of civil services provides CSPs a slightly different professional obligations to serve the citizens and state of Pakistan.
12 Occupational groups are:
- Pakistan Administrative Service
- Police Service of Pakistan
- Pakistan Customs
- Foreign Service of Pakistan
- Inland Revenue Service of Pakistan
- Information Services of Pakistan
- Commerce and Trade Group (CTG)
- Military Lands & Cantonment
- Office Management and Secretariat Group
- Audit and Accounts Service
- Postal Group
- Railways (Commercial & Transport) Group
Following documents that are essentially required by FPSC:
- Original Bank Treasury Receipt
- Recent 04 Passport Size Photographs
- Attested Copy of CNIC
- Attested copy of Matriculation Certificate showing date of birth. Provisional Certificate/ Result Card/ Marks Sheet is not acceptable
- Attested copy of Intermediate Certificate. Provisional Certificate/ Result Card/ Marks. Sheet is not acceptable
- Attested copy of Degree(s)
- Attested copy of self-Domicile Certificate
- Certificate for Buddhist and Scheduled Caste Candidates
- Certificate for Provincial/ Federal Tribal Areas candidates and those belonging to Gilgit-Baltistan
- Certificate from Kashmir Affairs Division for Azad Kashmir Nationals
- Certificate for Minorities
- Departmental Permission Certificate for Government Servants.
- In case of Ex-Employees of Armed Forces of Pakistan, No Objection Certificate(NOC) from relevant authority
- In case of Disabled candidates, certificate of disability from the competent authority
- Any other document required vides Rules/ Application Form
Not necessarily, but it helps. Aspirants may join a professional academy since well-trained expert teachers in academy provide students with subject-knowledge and techniques to pass the exam and become a CSP. Students can join subject experts as well.
People fail in CSS exam when they do not plan and prepare well and they lack analytical and critical skills in English writing. Collection and understanding most relevant material contains a key to success in CSS examination, yet most people do not know how and where to collect material, how to make effective notes from it and reproduce the gained knowledge in most effective way of answering a question during the exams.
Total seats vary every year according to the number of seats vacated.
Quota is allocated according to following criterion:
Open Merit 7.5%
Gilgit Baltistan 4%
*10% quota is reserved for women from the share of Provincial/Regional quota separate open merit quota
*5% quota is reserved for minorities (Non-Muslims) from the share of Provincial/Regional quota separate open merit quota.